Saturday, March 12, 2016

Orc Shaman on Wyvern

This is a project I've wanted to tackle for decades but I never had the guts to
a) assemble this large metal model
or
b) attempt to paint such an iconic figure.

I found it at a flea market a few years ago (specifically, Wally's Basement at Fall-In historical wargaming convention in Lancaster PA) for $20; somehow less than the original 1992 list price!

Over this past christmas I finally decided to give it a shot.  Three months later I finally finished it.  I wanted to paint it as close to the original box as possible. Even though that early 90s Orc and Goblins style was very red and cartoony, it's what's stuck in my memory and always what I envisioned for this figure.
The only major change I made was to simplify the color palette: I opted for a plain, brown fur hide for the saddle instead of the zebra pattern. I always thought the zebra pattern looked too busy and you lost sight of the actual rider.
I first saw this box over 25 years ago...

First set of test scales...

I was probably about 75% done at this point

The finished product





Raaargh!



taking center stage in the greenskin horde...

No comments:

Post a Comment